Wednesday, July 19, 2017

You and I can solve the healthcare problem

It's just this simple.
I tried to cut my finger off the other day with some weed clippers, and as I was being stitched up at the local doc in a box, Urgent Care something or other, I chatted with the doctor.

This operation, I said, has to be part of the solution, no? He said that if I had gone to the hospital emergency room they would probably have charged $3,000. Doc in a box would charge $300.

I often write about what I call "miracles & wonders," breakthroughs that very often involve no technology that can make healthcare a lot cheaper and more accessible. That's the idea.

Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert, has a short video offering a way out of our healthcare morass. I usually don't like videos, because they seem to be n inefficient way to convey information. In this case, four minutes is okay.

Essentially, he suggests that we list our healthcare costs -- stitching up a finger, say -- and then match that task up with a company or a startup that can do it efficiently. Perhaps part of the solution for that cost is a change in regulations. In other words, what will we need to do to make it happen.

Brilliant. Here's the video.

I get the stitches out tomorrow. Thanks for asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment