Monday, July 17, 2017

I hope you're not doing well

How many times do you begin an email with: "I hope you're doing well."?

You don't really care, do you? It's just throat clearing. If you are compelled to do it, there are other ways.

1.  Say nothing at all. Seriously, just cut to the chase. I don’t have much time to read email, and my attention span is short.

2. Writing something personal. Doing a little research can go a long way. Include a sentence or two at the opening of your email to show you’re familiar with the recipient. But don’t use a personalized opener unless it actually relates to the topic you’re writing about.

3. “I know you’re swamped, so I’ll be brief.” If you’re going to use it, you’d better actually be brief.

4. “We met at ______.” Best if that meeting had something to do with the topic at hand.

5. A bit of small talk. "Hope your summer’s off to a great start. Is it vacation time yet?"

Or you could just write "Hmmm." That could be the entire email.

No comments:

Post a Comment