Sunday, May 28, 2017

Vespers: Cherubin Hymm


The Novospassky Monastery Choir performs the "Cherubic Hymn."

Novospassky Monastery (New monastery of the Saviour) is one of the fortified monasteries surrounding Moscow from south-east. It was the first monastery to be founded in Moscow in the early 14th century. The Saviour Church was its original katholikon. Upon its removal to the left bank of the Moskva River in 1491, the abbey was renamed the New Saviour, to distinguish it from the older one in the Kremlin.

The Cherubikon, Cherubic Hymn or Cherubim Chant is the troparion normally sung at the Great Entrance during the Byzantine liturgy. The hymn is sung in the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Eastern Catholic Churches.

The hymn symbolically incorporates those present at the liturgy into the presence of the angels gathered around God's throne. It concerns the very heart of the Divine Liturgy—the Anaphora, the earliest part which can be traced back to Saint Basil and to John Chrysostom's redaction of Basil's liturgical text.

Image: Orthodox priest and deacons praying the Cherubic Hymn at the beginning of the Great Entrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment