Friday, March 31, 2017

Agility and hats: the making of a winning campaign

She lost.
Agile was not long ago the big buzzword in corporate life. I used to write about it, in fact, but today I can't define it. I don't think anybody else can.

In companies there is the yin and yang of big experienced firms and young, well, agile, firms. One can move quickly, making decisions on the fly. The other has to have endless committee meetings.

We can look back on the presidential election through this lens.

For example, Hillary Clinton's logo took three designers two months to create. Donald Trump came up with his campaign slogan on his own.

Designer Michael Bierut was in charge of creating HIllary's logo.
"I put together a three-person team: me, designer Jesse Reed, and project manager Julia Lemle," Bierut wrote. "We would work in secret for the next two months."
Trump describes his process:
"And I sat back and I said, 'What would be a good expression? And I said, let's do this.'"
Trump outlined his thought process to the Post: "I said, 'We'll make America great.' And I had started off 'We Will Make America Great.' That was my first idea, but I didn't like it. And then all of a sudden it was going to be 'Make America Great.' But that didn't work because that was a slight to America because that means it was never great before. And it has been great before." 
He continued: "So I said, 'Make America Great Again.' I said, 'That is so good.' I wrote it down. I went to my lawyers. I have a lot of lawyers in-house. We have many lawyers. I have got guys that handle this stuff. I said, 'See if you can have this registered and trademarked.'" 
And indeed, just days after Romney's loss, Trump signed an application to trademark the phrase.
He won.
During the campaign the pundits on both sides couldn't imagine Trump winning, joking that he was spending more on hats than on the campaign. For example:
Meanwhile, spending on the 84-person staff and field organizing barely increased from the previous month, to just $392,000 and $432,000, respectively. The campaign dropped much more — $1.8 million — on hats and other merchandise. 
By comparison, the Hillary Clinton campaign in July spent $2.9 million on its 703-person payroll and $25.8 million on media.
Which group would you describe as agile?

Oh, the articles title: "Trump spent four times as much on hats than he did on campaign organization LOL!"

LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment